Egalitarianism (from French égal, meaning “equal”)—or, rarely,equalitarianism12 or equalism3—is a trend of thought that favors equality for all people.4Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status, according to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.5 According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the term has two distinct definitions in modern English:6 either as a political doctrine that all people should be treated as equals and have the same political,economic, social, and civil rights;7 or as a social philosophy advocating the removal of economic inequalities among people,economic egalitarianism, or thedecentralization of power. Some sources define egalitarianism as the point of view that equality reflects the natural state of humanity.8910
For some communities, egalitarianism is a strong value. With focus on this aspect, the community serves it’s members while the members serve the community. It becomes a synergistic relationship where each supports the other, and where the community ensures the needs of each member is met and in this associations’ communities, even have healthcare benefits.
The Federation of Egalitarian Communities is a network of communal groups spread across North America. We range in size and emphasis from small agricultural homesteads to village-like communities to urban group houses.
Principles of the FEC
Each of the FEC communities:
- Holds its land, labor, income and other resources in common.
- Assumes responsibility for the needs of its members, receiving the products of their labor and distributing these and all other goods equally, or according to need.
- Practices non-violence.
- Uses a form of decision making in which members have an equal opportunity to participate, either through consensus, direct vote, or right of appeal or overrule.
- Actively works to establish the equality of all people and does not permit discrimination on the basis of race, class, creed, ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Acts to conserve natural resources for present and future generations while striving to continually improve ecological awareness and practice.
- Creates processes for group communication and participation and provides an environment which supports people’s development.
Read more at thefec.org.